I have several friends that are expecting their first children this winter. They call me ask for name suggestions, share details about their pregnancy, what they are afraid of , what their excited about, who the baby will look like, etc.
I love getting to be a part of this exciting time for them. I love baby name books, and we always have a good time discussing possible names (like Gargamel, lol). Discussing baby name trends, how to avoid a super trendy name without using some crazy, crackpot spelling. What "old" names might be fun to use again, what new names we can create, which names are way too overused.
What delivery & that awful postpartum time is really like, and that no matter how much you hope to see the baby's resemblance to you, they always look exactly like their father (my newest niece looks just like her dad too of course!). I think it's amazing how they always do look like their dad too, like they are designed to look like him so everyone knows who dad is after mom got all the glory (and basically did all the work) during pregnancy. Eventually some kids grow out of it, start to look like mom more, some hang on and continue to look just like dad. Genetics are powerful!
Emma still looks allmost exactly the same way Dan did at this age (except with bright blue eyes from my sister & Dan's mom), Chloe looks much more like me now but with Dan's eyes. Ashlyn with her platnium blonde hair (from my sister & Dan's cousins) also looks like Dan, but she has my eyes. My brother looked exactly like my dad from day one & still does, now his daughter looks like him too. I told my friend not to worry, as the baby grows she'll be able to see parts of herself in the baby's face soon. She's been really excited about the baby having her nose, his eyes, her hair, etc. so I didn't want her to be disappointed when it doesn't happen, and she seems to understand more now that she knows they generally look like dad not mom when they are first born (and for several years usually) & is ok with that. She's seen it with my girls and with other friend's kids, so I think she'll be okay, lol. Can't wait to start meeting all these little one's! Since they are all due in December I guess I should be baby shoppng now, spread that expense out a little, lol. December/January is always a super crazy time for us with the holiday & birthdays, but I love it anyway. In the words of na back in June "merry christmas" LOL.
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
expecting
Posted by The Beeler Family at 10:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I have a cousin who got pregnant after the chance of getting pregnant again was almost nil and she ended up with her baby girl after FOUR BOYS! Well, my cousin isn't the, how do I say it? best with the whole "moral" thing and bottom line is she slept around. Her husband was in the military and she always said he was away so much and he "understood" and "agreed" to her sometime slight indiscretion! LOL. Lo and behold she had this baby girl and she looks NOTHING like the dad (at all!! Incidentially, the boys all resemble their dad A LOT as in there is NO mistaking it!) However, the little girl is a splitting image of her "affair" man and as she gets older and older (she is nine now) she looks more and more EXACTLY like Man-B! Ooops. Of course, everyone in the family TOTALLY KNOW and I'm not sure if her husband truly knows or not but we all sure know and that little girl is bound to find out sooner or later!
Delores K.
OMG! Delores!!! Wow. That is what I call a family secret!
Ah yes... the hope that the baby that you just pushed out will look like you is a precious, precious thing! Did you tell her that in reality - when it is FIRST born - it looks more like ET than anyone?! ROFLOL!? Just wonderin'!?
Oh yeah - and Brian Regan is on my calendar for this weekend... "No! A NEW one!!!!" Saweet!
~K~
This reminds me of the movie, "Cheaper By The Dozen" where the one little red-headed boy is called, "FEDEX". LOL. I always felt that little boy really belonged to the car salesman or something and not really Steve Martin's kid...
There is no mistaking the fact that kids end up looking just like the men who fathered them. And, if they look like "the men who fathered them" from an early age, odds are as they grow older and older, they continue to look just like "TMWFT" even more!!
What's worse is when there are other siblings who look EXACTLY like one parent and ONE KID that looks like he/she belongs to the FEDEX guy! LOLLLLLL.
Of course, there is always: "RAIN IN AUSTRALIA, so LOVE turns into BACON, or butterflies." You know, either way. Hee Hee.
OMG FedEx!
It is a good thing I wasn't drinking anything... when I read that I just about pee'd my pants!
Fed Ex!!! Love that!
Yeah, those fathering men could be ANYONE, you know? The local gardener, the coffee guru, the artist, the car salesman, the traffic controller. No one has to be a dad, just lend the sperm. We live in a freaky society of people who sometimes are careless with who they sleep with. What a shame. But, yea, kids ALWAYS look like their "biological father". BINGO WAS A DINGO.
Genetics are an "interesting" thing indeed! You know what is also "interesting"? SKELETONS.
Because, you know, your foot bone is connected to your leg bone, your leg bone is connected to your hip bone...your hip bone is connected to your...and so on...
"The BONES Of The Clouds Rain Droplets Of Dandy Candy Onto Your Beehive."
Post a Comment