CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 24, 2008

easter dinner

Just to re-cap a little about our easter Sunday...
~We actually made it to church on time Sunday morning-we were even a little early! Now, this was a big deal, because we always go to church on Saturday evening & it's fabulous, no getting up early, fighting with kids to get out the door on time, etc. To make matters even more chalenging, we have Sunday service at Taco Bell Arena-downtown. That we we have only one service & our pastor actually get's to enjoy the day with his family too. Anyway, we made it, the service was great & "Esterlyn" preformed. It was awesome to have them, they've been on tour with Kutless so we haven't seen them much. The girls really like them & they just put out a new cd that we were able to pick up after service.
~Everyone was starving after church, so we ended up driving through a sonic (that took forever & a day) and then came hom to rest for a bit before egg hunting, which was held indoors because of the cold wind. The girls ate a bunch of junk from their baskets, Dan took a nap & I uploaded some photos & prepped some stuff for dinner.
~The dinner...I tried something new this year with our ham, I put it in the crock pot. I found a recipe on allrecipies.com and the person put in a can of coke, then the ham & then topped the ham with a can of crushed pineapple. Then you put it on low & let it cook overnight. Well, that would have been really good when I thought we were going to eat around 3:00 or 4:00. We didn't eat till about 6:30. My ham was too dry for my taste & a little on the tough side. The favor was great, I think mine just got cooked too long, I'll have to try it again sometime.
~trouble with the stove...I was making some scalloped potatoes as a side & they had about 6 minutes left to cook. I turned on my wrming drawer, first time I have ever used it. I go & get some biscuits ready to go in the oven next. When I came back to check on the potatoes I notice the oven is just off. The burners wouldn't spark, just put out gas. So Dan goes & resets the breaker-nothing. Crap, my oven just died!! Hmmm, does that mean I get a new oven? YIPPEEEE!!! Uh-oh...Dan notices a little red light on on one of the kitchen outlets. He pushes the button to re-set it & then everything is fine again. BUMMER!!! I mean, it was nice that I got to go ahead & have the biscuits & broiled asparagus with dinner, but I really want a new stove, lol.
~the sides...well, I allready mentioned the super yummy scalloped potatoes, and the asparagus was great! I roasted it for the first time ever (I usually saute it in a bunch of butter, yum). I mixed together olive oil, soy sauce, fresh garlic & sesame seeds-delicious!! I think I cooked them at 450 for about 20 minutes & they were awesome, the kids realy liked it this way, so we'll be doing it again I'm sure. Then I made spinach salad, fresh baby spinach, a whole grapefruit, peeled & cut into small pieces, some toasted pine nuts & a little red onion, with poppy seed dressing. Wow, sooooo yummy, I had it for lunch again today. :o)
~dessert...I got the little chocolate dessert shells they have a wal-mart and made strawberry shortcake out of them, also super yummy. Ashlyn is really unny with desserts, she's really not a sweet snacker. She ate all the strawberries, and about half the little chocolate shell & almost none of the whipped cream & she was done. She will also like about half the frosting off a cupcake & be done with it. She will however eat an entire bag of chips if you let her. Just like her mommy, lol!
~the great tragedy....Emma got watercolor paints in her easter basket, no one else did. They were just some I found, leftovers from school shopping I'm sure & I thought she would like them, she's my artist, so I tossed them in at the last minute. That resulted in Chloe having a total meltdown because Emma didn't want to share...good times. The Emma freaked out & they both ended up being sent to their room & put to bed early. When I finally went to tuck Emma in, she had wrote a not & put it at her door "KEEP OUT" with a very angry face on it. I thought it was funny, lol. Such a mean mom...
~the dog...Oreo is going nuts trying to get into easter eggs filled with candy. So far we've done ok & she's only managed to get a couple mini reees peanut butter cups. We were able to cleverly distract her for a little while with a ham bone, although we made her leave it outside. Leaving it outside has tricked her into going outside a few times this afternoon though, so it's all good.

So that was Easter, I hope you all had a good one too!

2 comments:

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Wow!!!? Another update - with lots of words too!!! Score!

The menu sounds delish!!! As usual - we went to Dave's folks and I had to cook nothing! LOL! Although - that meant that I also had to measure everything and didn't have quite as much to choose from as the others!? LOL!? But -it's all good because I made sure I had enough 'room' in my range to enjoy a Reese Peanut Butter Egg in the evening! LOL!

Dave bought asparagus and I am not really a fan - but I am trying to be... maybe I will copy down your roasting recipe and we'll give it a shot?! Oh - ok - you will know this... Dave asked the other day what the difference is between 'Roasting' and 'Cooking' or 'Baking'?! Is it the temp or the length of time or what?! I didn't know?! =oP

Love ya!
~Karri~

~Karrilee~ from Abiding Love, Abounding Grace said...

Seriously?! Easter Dinner?! That's still here?! C'mon... (now that I have updated myself - I can leave a wee bit o' smack?!) LOL!? Give us an update already!?

~K~